Written by Victory Online Chef on 6:49 pm
- 1kg floury potatoes
- 400g of cod, haddock or any firm white fish
- Approx. ½ litre milk
- 50g of butter
- 50g of flour.
- Tbsp Capers
- Zest of ½ large lemon
- Extra butter, cream and milk for the mashed potatoes (optional but recommended)
- Cheddar cheese (optional but recommended)
- Peel, chop and boil potatoes until cooked through
- Simmer the fish very gently in the milk until just cooked
- Make a roux – melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and stir to create a dough. Do not burn! On a low heat, slowly add the fishy milk a little at a time mixing vigorously until all is incorporated, and you have a creamy sauce.
- Season with salt, pepper, grated lemon zest and capers. Taste to check it’s good!
- Add the fish pieces to the sauce, flaking it and checking for bones as you go. Then pour the sauce into a dish
- Mash the potatoes with extra butter, cream, milk, salt and pepper until light, fluffy and delicious
- Spoon or pipe the mash onto the fish sauce and sprinkle over the cheddar cheese if using.
- Bake in the oven until golden and bubbling (approximately 20 minutes at 190° )